Please join the Algiers UMC family for a five week series of conversations about social justice and racism. Using a combination of videos and articles as source material, this study group will unpack many of the issues that are troubling our community. Facilitated by Sarah Waits and Reverend Colleen Bookter, these sessions will provide a safe space for conversation, reflection, and an opportunity to practice our shared Christian values of acceptance and advocacy.
Using the Zoom platform, this series will meet online on Sundays in August (2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th) from 6-7 pm. Feel free to drop in for one session or all five.
To sign up, please join our email list. You can download zoom onto your computer or smartphone, or even just use the link provided in the email and paste it in your web browser.
- August 2nd: Understanding White Privilege
- August 9th: Love Your Neighbor AND Yourself
- August 16th: Twisted Roots: History of Racism in the Methodist Church
- August 23rd: Institutional Racism
- August 30th: Where do we go from here?